Prior to discussing this subject, I want to express that “The powers of a witch” are not for witches alone. Many people may manifest spiritual abilities without identifying as a witch -or anything at all for that matter. Out with the labels or embrace them -whatever works. Now, on to business! New seekers have a lot of questions. One I hear often is “What are my powers or gifts, can you tell me?” More frequently, I hear questions that often indicate that way too much T.V. is to blame. Questions of that variety sound more like this: “Can you shoot fireballs from your hands?” “Can you float things across the room or turn yourself into a cat?” Hey, I’ll be the first one to say that if I could fly on a broom I’d give up the idea of car payments forever and kick the dust from my brooms invisible transmission! It is a nice thought.
It isn’t unusual for beginners to be interested in what their talents may be. Answering this question isn’t easy. While it is possible a person may be able to discern a special talent that you have, it is more likely that you will have to develop patience and practice to determine what gifts you already have.
I deeply believe that all people are capable of what is sometimes perceived as “supernatural” ability. What should be remembered is that as we move closer to nature and reconnect, it isn’t unusual for us to suddenly recognize such things. Animals are very keen. We have been disconnected for so long that most of these abilities have been buried. Seekers are archeologists of the soul and the digging uncovers the self that we are at the core. Of course, I speak only for myself in regard to that belief.
I first encountered the “Thirteen Powers of the Witch” when reading a book by Silver Raven Wolf. The excerpt goes like this:
their right of lineage by Goddess’s* name.
Tie a knot and say the words
or hand on head – the blessing conferred.
A Witch can give success in love
curse or bless through God/dess above.
Speak to beasts and spirits alike
command the weather, cast out a blight.
Read the heavens and stars of the night
divine the future and give good advice.
Conjure treasure and bring fortune to bear
heal the sick and kill despair.
- The Eyes: My mother talked to me about “special eyes” To have the eyes simply means that you have the ability to visually see the spiritual world. That vision may come from dreaming or while a person is awake. Often, clairvoyance (clear sight) many manifest through dreams. People with the eyes may be precognitive (seeing before something happens) or post cognitive (seeing events that have happened in the past.)
- Speaking with and listening to spirits/animals: By spirits, I mean all kinds: worldly and otherworldly, animals and plants, elemental and otherwise.
- The Gift of Projection: Those who discover this ability may be able to leave their bodies to astral travel, bi-locate, remote-view, dream-walking. Though these talents can be used in conjunction with dreaming, I separate them because they can be utilized otherwise as well. I’ve also seen this manifest using the voice.
- The Gift of The Hands (Transference) and (Drawing): witches of all kinds can learn to project, direct and absorb energy but witches with the gift of transference/drawing are often healers. They often become adept at moving energy inside the body (not just the physical body but often the etheric one as well.) Witches with this gift are often Psychometric. They have the ability to touch objects and receive (draw) information from what they encounter. This ability may include a gift to sever and connect energy lines (with or without physical touch).
- The gift of Divination: Most witches use some form of divination. Most commonly used are cards of some kind (cartomancy). Others might read natural signs, use dowsing pendulums, black mirrors for scrying, runes and more. The tool is just that and nothing more but it aids a witch in channeling information. If divination is your “gift” it may come very easy and you may discover an uncanny ability to discern explicit details when you look beyond or “through” the tool itself.
- The gift of “Wish” This was described to me from the time I was very young. The gift of wish is exactly what it sounds like, it is the ability to make a wish, point and watch it happen. The manifestation happens quickly and appears to be almost immediate. I feel this wish falls into the bless and curse category. Meaning that if you can bless you can also curse. The old adage “Be careful what you wish for” is taken very seriously with a person who is gifted with the “wishing.”
- Medium: Mediums are vessels, they themselves become the physical channels for spirits to communicate through. Instead of needing a tool, the medium is the tool. I’ve heard mediums describe sudden anxiety, cold sweats, intense pressures on their bodies. However, I feel this may be an early manifestation of this ability and is best guided by a well-experienced mentor who shares a similar gift.
- Discernment: (Clear Judgement) Discernment is an ability that often travels through the channel of clairsentience (clear feeling) as well as “The knowing.” Often it is difficult to put into distinct words. My mother referred to it as “gut feelings.” When a person discerns they are able to “tell the difference.” They may know when a person is lying or immediately know if something is not in their best interests or the interest of others.
- The Gift of Empathy: Empathy is the ability to tune into the feelings of others. Often, in the beginning, empaths may find it difficult to tell the difference between their own feelings and the feelings of those around them. They are much like water spilled on a counter. The water needs a container, empaths need time to retreat and firm emotional boundaries.
RECOGNIZING AND NURTURING OUR GIFTS
Now, how do these gifts manifest? What can we expect and how can we recognize the development of these various gifts. Can a witch have more than one gift? More questions abound. Lets’ address a few of them. First, a witch could possibly have all of them but some will be stronger than others. The strongest are often considered the “gifts.” I won’t dish out a name but years ago I was very close to a young man with the amazing talent to travel out of his body. He described the sensations and had absolutely no clue exactly what was happening to him. When he became frightened he often shifted out of his body. He would describe seeing himself from above or be able to details scenes when he appeared to be unconscious. During a doctors’ visit, he discovered he needed a shot. Being extremely fearful of needles, he attempted to distract himself with magazines or by humming. A nurse and a doctor had him seated in a chair with an armrest and they pulled out the syringe. The moment the cool metal touched his skin his color drained from his cheeks. I’d been attempting to keep him calm when I realized he had blacked out. After the appointment, I discovered he was rather upset. He was convinced that I was going to allow the medical team to hold him down. He convincingly recounted his version of the events and reiterated that I should have left with him instead of choosing to ignore him. I was profusely confused. He continued to explain: “They were going to put that needle in me and I jumped up and yelled no. I told you to come on that we were leaving and you just kept your back to me the whole time. You were ignoring me.” Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming compassion and at the same time, suppressed the urge to giggle just a little. I pointed out to him that he should look at his arm. If he had jumped up and left how was their evidence of a shot? I then retold him the story and explained that the reason I did not turn around was because I was attending to his physical body. I explained that I didn’t hear him yelling at me. It took him quite a while to recover from the shock.
Recognition should lead to a pursuit of knowledge. Learn about the gift, research it and honor it by trusting it. Of course, gifts should be used to serve in a way that is healing and helpful. Each person has to discover how he or she may use their gift in compassion, wisdom and great love.
IDENTIFYING YOUR STRONGEST CHANNEL
They may manifest through various channels. Some of these channels I have mentioned above. It is not unusual for one to be stronger than the rest. A primary channel is the one that is utilized most often for information to be received through. What do I mean by channel? In this case, I mean a pathway by which the gifts can unfold. Here are some that you may encounter:
Clairaudience: The ability to hear clearly.
Clairvoyance: To see clearly.
Claircognizance: Clear Knowing
Clairsentience: Clear feeling (sensation) that does not necessarily involve the hands.
Clairtangency: The ability to touch objects and retrieve information previously unknown.
Clairscent: Smelling the unseen -meaning there isn’t a logical reason to smell roses suddenly when there are no roses present or recently present.
In this post, I have not mentioned many things such as telekinesis, teleportation, telepathy -and so on. My general attitude is that all things are possible. Initially, I felt these needed a new category but in the end found myself undecided at where to place them. I list them as the nine gifts, of course, there may be more of these as they are broken down. The Green Gift are people who have an amazing talent to grow plants and speak with them. Due to the nature of it, I lump it together with working and speaking with spirits. I find that most gifts are subtle in nature. Developing them is in part, a matter of not forcing it to happen. Stay open, receptive and wonder at the world and all the things in it. All gifts are revealed in time -and some quite a bit more mundane than you would expect.